Saturday, September 22, 2012

Salsa Recipe

So, I promise that the canning recipes will come to an end soon as the season is almost over. Then you all get to see my holiday crafts. I have some fun ideas for the upcoming holidays; but for now, I've got to get this canning stuff done before it freezes too hard to ruin my garden. My last canning post will be a green tomato salsa because when it freezes, I have to take the rest of my tomatoes off the vines whether they are done or not. That's when I know canning season has come to an end. And that can be your clue too that all these canning posts will end. Soon, folks, soon. I promise. But for now, you get another canning recipe:

*!SaLsA!*
I got this recipe from a friend awhile ago, so thanks for the recipe! It's the one we use each year because it is the easiest and turns out the best for us. It looks so good when it starts to cook! It really gets me in the mood for some good tacos.

Just put into the pot.
Starting to cook down a bit if you look at the sides.
Some finished jars. Sorry the pic is blurry. But you get the idea. 
Salsa Recipe:

20 cups tomatoes, blanched, and quartered
2 (or more) fresh jalapeƱo peppers
2 cups chopped green peppers
8 cloves minced garlic
5 Tbs. canning salt
4 6oz cans tomato paste
1 1/4 cup vinegar
3 Tbs. sugar
4 tsp. ground cumin
4 tsp. ground oregano

Simmer 1 hour stirring occasionally. Pour into hot jars. Place jars in canner filled with hot water, bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove jars and allow to cool. Makes 12-15 pints.

See, pretty easy. We doubled the recipe, just used two different pans. Instead of blanching the tomatoes we did it in the oven. See this post for directions on what I think is so much easier than blanching the tomatoes. My hubby likes smooth salsa, so we put the cooked salsa in a blender before transferring to hot jars. 

The smell of this stuff cooking is AMAZING! Those spices, the fresh produce from our garden--YUM! Our house smelled salsa-y for a few days. It was great. I hope this makes you all hungry. Go have some good salsa, or for my friends and family, come visit me and you can have some of mine. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment