Thursday, May 2, 2013

If you're happy and you know it

We have recently been having a few consistent issues at our home that my husband and I feel is not acceptable such as taking and hiding things from others, lying to mom and dad, and name calling. To attempt to remedy this, my husband and I decided to have a lesson on things that make everyone happy.  We have what we call family night once a week where we have a lesson on scriptures or something that we need to discuss. At this particular family night, we covered many topics and decided if those topics would make them happy, others happy, and mom and dad happy. 

I googled pictures of things that my kids do such as folding laundry, vacuuming, helping others, etc. as well as things they do that are not so great like hit, calling names, lying, etc. I cut them out into little squares. I also googled a happy face and a sad face and taped them onto two envelopes.


During the lesson, I had all the squares flipped over picture side down, and the kids took turns choosing one of the squares. We would figure out what the picture was showing and have a talk about how that was good or bad behavior and how it made themselves, others, and mom and dad feel and why it made them feel that way. Then we would decide if it went in the happy face envelope or the sad face envelope. 

We hung our envelopes on the fridge for the week and decided to shout "happy face" whenever we saw something that would make everyone happy. I also thought about having more pictures of things that my kids could or would do throughout the week and if they did it I'd give them the picture for them to put in the appropriate envelope. I didn't do that, but it's a good idea to help reiterate the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment