Friday, March 15, 2013

Easy Wood Signs

I like to make fun crafts for the girls I teach at church. When I came across these printables I knew I wanted to do more than print them off on paper. Then I remembered that I had wood squares that I have been saving for about 4 years to make garden stakes. These handouts are much cooler than the garden stakes that I probably would not get to for another several years. I got pretty excited about my idea, in fact, I got so excited I started right away. Here's what you need and how I created them.

Materials:
Acrylic paint- color of your choice
Paint brush
Wood- size of your choice
Design of your choice printed on computer paper
Mod Podge - or glue water
Sandpaper or sanding block
Polyurethane

My wood was cut into 4 inch x 4 inch pieces already, so that is the size I stuck with. I downloaded the printable I wanted. I copied and pasted it into Word and then resized it to 4 inch x 4 inch. Then printed them on regular white paper. Cut to the preferred size.


The wood I had was from a sheet of 1/4 inch ply-wood. One side was smoother than the other. I decided I wanted the smoother side for the back since the front would be covered anyway. I painted the front with one coat and the back and sides with two coats of white acrylic paint.

Once the paint was dry, I used my glue water to cover the front of the wood. The thinner the coat of water glue, the easier it is to get rid of any bubbles. Then I put the printed quote on top.

I wanted to create a tattered look from the paper to the wood and I also had some over hang on some blocks, so I sanded the edges of the wood and the paper.

Overhang

Sanding with a scrapbooking sanding block


Finished edges

Then I covered the paper with a coat of glue water . The ink from my printer did run if I spent too much time putting on the top coat of glue water. I found that one swipe was good and held together the way I wanted it too. I did add a second coat to the edges.


See the color run? And the ink from the "t" and "h."After this one, I learned to swipe down from the color and only one quick swipe over the letters. This was the worst one, and really, it isn't that bad.

This step is completely optional. I wanted a better finish than just the glue water, so I added a coat of polyurethane. The glue water sealed the ink, so the polyurethane didn't make the ink run.

The polyurethane gave the blocks a little shine and sealed the whole thing. Definitely recommend this step.


Cute, huh?
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment