Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dia De Los Muertos

I finished student teaching quite awhile ago. But I've been holding on to this blog post idea since then. I student taught in 2nd grade and it was a blast! I finally feel like I know this is what I was meant to do in life. Once a week, while I was student teaching, we would have art in the classroom. In order to cover more than art during art time I sometimes tried to incorporate social studies as well. This particular week we were learning about Dia De Los Muertos. We watched a few short videos on what the celebration was and how they decorate. I explained that instead of focusing on gory and gruesome, like halloween does sometimes, the skulls and decorations are a symbol of happiness.

For this art project, we used styrofoam plates, the backs of paint brushes, the brush part of the paint brushes, large construction paper, and acrylic paint.

After showing the students different pictures of decorated skulls, they carved skulls on the back side of a foam plate using the back of the paint brush. Next, they painted a thin coat of bright colored paint on the back of the plate. Then, they stamped the plate onto construction paper. They rinsed their plate (we were lucky enough to have a sink in the classroom), dried it, and then painted another color on the plate. They stamped it again and then repeated the process until they had filled up their large construction paper. Then they chose a color to paint their background. After letting them dry, I strung our banners together and hung them in the hallway. I think they turned out great, don't you?
 






No comments:

Post a Comment