Friday, February 22, 2013

February 19 holiday

What did you do on February 19? Well, we celebrated a national holiday. Which holiday you ask? It just so happens that February 19 was Chocolate Mint day. Didn't you know that? Oh come on, I thought everyone knew that?!? Okay, truth is I had no clue until a CNN article pointed it out. I mean, who needs to be asked to celebrate a chocolate holiday more than once? Not this gal!

The Celebratory Feast
My husband LOVES this Pistachio Mint Chocolate cake that his mom has made him for years. So, what better way to celebrate chocolate mint day than with a chocolate and mint cake? 

The Ingredients:
1 pkg. two layer yellow cake mix
1pkg. four serving Jello instant pudding pistachio flavor
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
8 drops green food coloring
1 cup chocolate flavor baking chips, coarsely chopped
20-24 chocolate covered thin mints

*Substitutions
I did not have yellow cake mix so I used white.
I did not have peppermint extract, so I used Andes Creme De Menthe chips instead of chocolate chips to add the minty flavor.
I did not have green food coloring, so I used blue and yellow.
I did not have thin mints, so I used York peppermint patties.

Directions:
Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil, extract, and food coloring in large mixing bowl. Blend, then beat at medium speed with electric mixer for four minutes. Stir in chips. Pour into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan.

I did this in two round pans because I wanted to add a middle layer of mints too add more mint flavor since I didn't have peppermint extract.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center coms out clean and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Do not under bake. Remove cake from oven, and place thin mints in a single layer on top of cake to cover completely. Return to oven and bake three minutes longer to melt candies. Remove from oven and quickly spread melted candies evenly over cake. Cool. 

Because I was doing a middle layer, I melted the candies on one cake first. Then I put the second layer on top of the melted candies and melted the second layer. Finally, I spread the second layer of candies. Because I used York mints instead of thin mint candies, there was more of a marbled effect than usual. But it tasted great!

I thought this was funny: we have had a problem with our  kids getting into candy without our knowledge, but they leave the wrappers all over our house. As I was cleaning up the kitchen, I passed by the trashcan and saw this. It looks like one of our children raided the candy shelf again... But no, it was just me unwrapping several candies. 

And I give you the final product. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment